Getting entangled into criminal process is never a good sign. Whether you have committed a crime or not you may undergo several painstaking stages. Sometimes the cases could be complex and surprising also. There fore one must understand the legal rights well.
The best idea is to contact a defense attorney in yourarea if you are suspected of a crime. Or else, you may not know when and how to execute your legal authority? Taking best decision in emergency is important. That is exactly what Key West Defense Attorneys do in Florida.
Victims know about the rigorous interviews and obligations they have to face during criminal prosecution. In this article you will see how to tackle those difficult moments and defend your case.
If police stops you:
1. It may happen anytime during questioning sessions. This stop will not be considered as arrest until you are vigorously detained or moved to another location. You can exercise your legal permissions. Here are few suggestions one can follow:
2. Be calm and polite to police. Don’t hide your face and hands. Don’t act as you are running away from the cop.
3. If you were driving and then detained, show your driving license, vehicle registration number and vehicle insurance proof. If you are not feeling comfortable answering your police, just ask straightway – you have the right to remain silent. Never lie to police. It will worsen your case.
4. Ask your officer clearly if you were arrested. Ask why you were stopped forcefully?
5. If you are not under arrest you have the permit to leave the place. If not, you have the right to hire a criminal defense attorney.
If Police searches you:
Police with arrest warrant can go ahead with search. They can search you, your car or home even. You may disagree to give the consents. But, if they suspect you to own a weapon, they can frisk you or pat down your clothes.
However, searches could be with warrant as well as warrant less. Search warrant authorizes polices to investigate your home, business etc. Florida based Key West Defense Attorneys can guide you in the right way This permission is based on probable causes which again depend on the criminal activity. Search warrants are required as per general rule.
But there are types of searches where warrants are not mandatory.
1. Police officers may search your body and clothing for weapons when the arrest is valid
2. If you are arrested during driving, police may search your vehicle
3. Searches in emergency situations are valid
4. If police see some thing fishy in plain view, they don’t require search warrant.
5. If you consent the police offer, no other permissions is required
Even after all these fail you have options to fight during arrest, booking or arraignment process. In all these processes, Florida based Key West Defense Attorneys can guide you in the right way. In general defendants get the options to make multiple pleas in Florida under some jurisdictions. Go and grab the opportunity.